HAVPCD156 – The William Drake Organ in Grosvenor Chapel
The organ in the Grosvenor Chapel was originally built by Abraham Jordan in 1732. It was repaired and altered in a conservative fashion at various times during the 19th century before being rebuilt and brought down to the lower gallery in 1908 by Ingram of Hereford. It was rebuilt again by J. W. Walker & Sons in 1930, who opened up a chamber in the wall between the chapel and the tower for the Swell, and extended the case at each side to house the Pedal pipes. By the early 1980s the organ was becoming unreliable and a contract for a new instrument, to include the restoration of the case, was eventually awarded to William Drake of Buckfastleigh, Devon, in 1988.