HAVPCD375 – Adoremus in Aeternam
A historical survey of music specifically written for the organ from the 16th century through to the present day for use in the Mass and at Benediction. The sequence displays great variety, and progresses from a rousing Introduction by Boely, through Kyries, Gloria, Epistle, Offertory, Sanctus, Benedictus, Elevation of the Host, Agnus Dei (a glorious largescale setting by the incomparable J S Bach), Communion, Procession of the Blessed Sacrament, Adoration, Benediction (the music specially composed for use in Worksop Priory Church), to the final triumphant setting by Gigout of Let us adore for ever the Most Holy Sacrament, complete with cymbelstern. Other composers include Scheidemann, Couperin, Byrd, Grunberger, Titelouze, Messiaen, Tournemire, Zipoli, Overbury, Gigault, Banchieri, Vaughan Williams, Boellmann, Bermudo, and Aguilera. There is splendour, intensity of devotion, beauty, solemnity, anguish, delight, and joy – the whole range, in fact, of spiritual responses to the Sacred Mysteries.
Worksop Priory This great Church and Priory were founded by Sir William De Lovetot, a local landowner living at Worksop Manor, in the year 1103. A Parish Church existed on the site before the Monastery. The Priory was for the Order of St Augustine and dedicated to St Cuthbert. Sandstone was used from a quarry at Steetly, a few miles away on the Derbyshire border. It was completed in 1170 (the year of the Martydom of Thomas a Becket) during the reign of King Henry II. In 1140 King Stephen visited the Priory and dedicated the name of St Mary additionally to that of St Cuthbert.
Two crusades went from the Priory – the third crusade with King Richard I Coeurdelion – and also the fifth crusade. The Nave, windows, roof and doors (oak from the nearby Sherwood Forest) are in the magnificent early Norman Romanesque style. In November 1538 King Henry VIII began confiscating all Monasteries in England. It is interesting to note that King Henry VIII became Patron of the Priory in 1544. The Lady Chapel architecture is early English Lancet Perpendicular and the contrast between the main body of Church and the Lady Chapel is very evident. The Lady Chapel is unique in being a double War Memorial which was constructed by Lady Maud Furnival in memory of her husband Lord Gerard Furnival who was killed in the Crusades. Little remains of the monastic buildings today, but the present Church and its Gatehouse occupy part of the site that was once a very large and powerful Monastery, and has also played a great part in the history of England.