Info & track listings
Charterhouse owes its name to the site of a Carthusian Monastery in London where, in 1611, Thomas Sutton established a school for boys and an almshouse. By 1872 the school had outgrown its London home and moved to a new site in Godalming, Surrey, where it has grown to its present size of 700, including 70 sixth-form girls.
From earliest times the Chapel has formed a focal point within the School, which has also reflected a strong choral tradition.In 1985 the Special Choir of about 24 voices was formed to tackle more challenging and extensive repertoire.
It sings a wide range of sacred and secular music as well as taking every opportunity to link Charterhouse with other organisations working for charitable purposes. A Late Evening Carol Service sung by candlelight was introduced during the second World War and has continued to the present time.
It is now presented by the Special Choir on two successive evenings in Advent. With the exception of the hymns, it is the music of these services which is presented here.
|1||04:28||Come thou Redeemer||Traditional|
|2||02:40||The truth sent from above||Vaughan Williams|
|3||04:28||Bethlehem Down||Peter Warlock|
|4||02:43||Es ist ein’ Ros’ entsprungen (Organ)||Brahms|
|5||01:08||Adam lay ybounden||Boris Ord|
|6||04:43||King Jesus hath a garden||Patrick Hawes|
|7||03:04||Whence is that goodly fragrance||Wells|
|8||04:47||Once in royal David’s city||wells|
|9||01:54||Ding dong! merrily on high||Charles Wood|
|10||01:27||In dulci jubilo||Bach|
|11||02:44||In dulci jubilo (Organ)||Bach|
|12||03:44||O come, all ye faithful||Wade/Monk/Chambers|
|13||03:24||Huic Magi||James Webb|
|14||03:28||Hark! the herald angels sing||Mendelssohn/Cummings/Llewellyn|