Info & track listings
The organ in the Grosvenor Chapel was originally built by Abraham Jordan in 1732. It was repaired and altered in a conservative fashion at various times during the 19th century before being rebuilt and brought down to the lower gallery in 1908 by Ingram of Hereford.
It was rebuilt again by J. W. Walker & Sons in 1930, who opened up a chamber in the wall between the chapel and the tower for the Swell, and extended the case at each side to house the Pedal pipes.
By the early 1980s the organ was becoming unreliable and a contract for a new instrument, to include the restoration of the case, was eventually awarded to William Drake of Buckfastleigh, Devon, in 1988.
Richard Hobson came to the Grosvenor Chapel in 1981 after four years as Organist of St Mary the Boltons, Kensington. At the Chapel he is responsible for a music programme involving a professional choir, as well as the international series of Grosvenor Chapel Organ Concerts which he founded on completion of the new organ.
|1||01:58||Suite du second ton 1. Prélude||Jean Adam Guilain, (fl 1702-1740)|
|2||03:07||2. Tierce en taille||Jean Adam Guilain|
|3||01:15||3. Duo||Jean Adam Guilain|
|4||01:16||4. Basse de trompette||Jean Adam Guilain|
|5||01:47||5. Trio de flûtes||Jean Adam Guilain|
|6||02:31||6. Dialogue||Jean Adam Guilain|
|7||00:40||7. Petit plein jeu||Jean Adam Guilain|
|8||19,33||Chorale partita: Sei gegrüsset, Jesu gütig||J. S. Bach, (1685-1750)|
|9||03:45||Voluntary in G||Henry Purcell, (1659-1695)|
|10||03:28||Voluntary for Double Organ||Anonymous, (17th century)|
|11||05:26||Voluntary in A, Op 7 No 1||John Stanley, (1712-1786)|
|12||08:31||Voluntary in D minor, Op 6 No 1||William Walond, (c. 1725-1770)|
|13||05:08||Sonata in F minor, Op 65 No 1 1. Allegro moderato e serioso||Felix Mendelssohn, (1809-1847)|
|14||02:54||2. Adagio||Felix Mendelssohn|
|15||03:14||3. Andante recitativo||Felix Mendelssohn|
|16||03:31||4. Allegro assai vivace||Felix Mendelssohn|